Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What Services does your Clinic offer?
A: Chiropractic services such as:
- Treatment for Motor Vehicle Accidents and Work injuries, Shockwave Therapy, Active Release Therapy and instrument adjustments as well as traditional chiropractic adjustments for back pain, neck pain, headaches, and much more!
Physiotherapy services such as:
- Treatment for Motor Vehicle Accidents and Work injuries, Shockwave Therapy, traditional acupuncture, IMS (Intermuscular stimulation), traction, surgery rehabilitation, personal exercise programs and Ultrasound therapy as well as general physiotherapy for sprains, strains and injuries for the whole body!
Massage Therapy services such as:
- Relaxation, reflexology, pre/post natal massage, therapeutic, deep tissue and Hot/Cold stones and cupping!
Q: What is Intermuscular Stimulation (IMS)?
A: IMS is a treatment using dry needles to reduce muscle pain, joint pain and other types of body pain. Dry needles are very fine solid needles similar to acupuncture needles that do not inject a substance. The dry needles are inserted into muscles that are not functioning properly. The most important part of IMS is that it looks for problems in the nervous system that may be the root cause of the pain. IMS is used to help any nerves that are dysfunctioning to function better again. When nerves are functioning better, they deliver more normal signals to the muscles and all the other tissues they supply. This means that affected muscles become less tight and tender, and all the tissues that are linked to them (joints, tendons, fascia, etc) can function better too. This also will lead to less pain. IMS can be very effective in treating many types of painful conditions in the muscles, joints, tendons, fascia and nerves. Some examples are low back pain, neck pain, “tennis elbow”, “golfer’s elbow”, sciatica, knee pain (“patellofemoral syndrome”/”chondromalacia patella”), shoulder pain (“rotator cuff syndrome”), hip pain (“IT band syndrome”, “piriformis syndrome”), and “myofascial pain syndrome”.
Q: Who would not be a good candidate of IMS?
A: Although IMS can be very beneficial to many patients and their conditions, it is not recommended to treat any persons with a low immune system due to an underlying health condition (e.g. recent surgery or treatments of any cancers), or people who have a pacemaker. IMS cannot be utilized during pregnancy. Feel free to inquire if IMS could be the right treatment for you!
Q: How often or how long will I have to come in for treatment?
A: This varies per person and per condition, however we generally see new patients more often at the beginning of their treatment path, and as you get better, we start to space out your treatments until you feel comfortable listening to your body and calling us when you need a tune up.
Q: What should I expect upon my first visit?
A: First appointments are 4 easy steps!
- Arrive 10-15 minutes early for your appointment to fill out some paperwork
- Meet the Practitioner
- The Practitioner does a full exam to find out what is going on with your body and explains their plan to get you feeling better
- Treatment time!
Q: I’m pregnant; what kind of treatment can I do?
A: There are many safe treatments that we can offer you during pregnancy, just be sure to let us know when you book your appointment.
- Chiropractic: Dr. Levy treats many women throughout their pregnancy for back and hip pain
- Physiotherapy: Dawn Levy can offer many stretches and exercises during pregnancy, and acupuncture limited to treating nausea during certain months of pregnancy. No IMS during pregnancy though.
- Massage: Shanelle has a lot of experience with treating the aches and pains that come with pregnancy, as well as we have a belly bolster to allow mommy-to-be to lay on her front, comfortably and safely. Please note that it is not recommended to have a massage during your first trimester or without consulting with your health care provider.
Q: What is shockwave therapy?
A: Shockwave therapy is a non-invasive treatment that involves creating a series of energy wave pulsations that are directly applied to an injured area. The purpose of the therapy is to trigger the body’s own natural healing response. Common conditions treated by shockwave therapy are tennis elbow, plantar fasciitis, frozen shoulder and tendinitis. You must be assessed by our chiropractor or physiotherapist to determine if you are a good candidate for shockwave therapy.
Q: Is chiropractic/physiotherapy/massage the right treatment for me?
A: Without doing an in-person assessment, it is hard for us to say for sure which treatment is the best treatment for you. By asking a few questions over the phone, our reception team is able to better determine which healthcare professional you should see. As well as, our practitioners work as a team, so if they think that another one of our Practitioners would provide you with a better suited treatment for your condition, they will make sure you get booked into see them!
Q: What Products do you sell?
A: We sell a variety of homecare products to improve your health and wellness such as:
- TENS machines, hot/cold packs, Biofreeze, exercise balls, foam rollers, exercise bands, and braces, as well as many other products for strengthening.
Q: Do we sell Custom Orthotics?
A: Yes we do! Dr. Dan Levy does Orthotic consultations and does a gait scan analysis to show you what is going on with your feet to determine if you require a pair of custom orthotics. We order from 2 different companies to be able to offer the best orthotics for your specific needs.
- Orthotic Consultation and Gait Scan Analysis $50
- Child’s Pair of Custom Orthotics (<17) $400 *includes 1 year recovering warranty*
- Adults Pair of Custom Orthotics (18+) $475
Q: What is the difference between the $20 insoles at the drug store and Orthotics?
A: While we admit that the cheaper option is appealing, they won’t do much to correct your feet, support your knees, or align your hips and back. They might be squishy and comfy, but if you are looking for an effective solution to foot pain, hip pain, or back pain, Custom Orthotics are definitely the way to go!
Q: What age group do we treat?
A: We see patients from 0 to 100! We often assess and treat anyone from brand new babies to seniors and everyone in between.
Q: Do you direct bill my benefits?
A: We direct bill MOST benefit companies as long as your specific plan allows direct billing! The main companies we direct bill are Blue cross, Canada Life, Sunlife, Manulife, Greenshield, Canadian Benefits Providers and many more, just ask Patricia or Judy!
Q: Do my benefits cover __________ treatment? Or how much do my benefits cover for _________?
A: Unfortunately we do not have access to that type of information. We recommend calling your benefit company or checking your Mobile App to see what your limits and coverage are if you are interested in knowing.
Q: Do I need a prescription to come see you?
A: We do not require a prescription for any of our services; however your benefit plan may require it. It is best to inquire with your benefit company prior to booking an appointment.
Q: Can you bill my benefits for custom orthotics or other products that I want to purchase?
A: Unfortunately in Alberta we are unable to directly bill benefit providers for any products; we are only able to bill for treatment services. For any product purchases, the patient will have to pay in full and submit their receipt to their benefits for reimbursement. It’s a good idea to check with your benefits first to see what requirements they have in order to reimburse you for any products.
Q: Where can I park?
A: We are located on the North-East corner of the intersection of 95 ave and 163 street. There is plenty of parking available along the side street. The entrance to the building is facing the Rexall Drug Store across the street.
Q: What payment types do you accept?
A: We accept all major credit cards, debit, and cash. Although with COVID-19 we do prefer to not take cash if possible.
Q: What are you doing to keep your patient’s safe during COVID-19?
A: We have strict cleaning and PPE protocols in place to keep both our patients and staff safe. Everyone is required to wear a face mask as per the local by-law in place, as well as mandatory hand washing/sanitizing upon entry to the office. We are taking direction from our associations, Alberta Health Services and The Government of Alberta. To see our full and current policies, click this link: https://www.leveragehealth.clinic/index.php?p=545669
Q: How can I book an appointment?
A: We have 2 ways to book an appointment!
- Call us at 780-444-7752 and speak to someone on our reception team. If it is after business hours, please leave a message with your full name and phone number and we will return your call within 1 business day.
- We offer EASY Online Booking! leveragehealth.clinic
Book anytime day or night with just a few quick steps! We will confirm your appointment and send you an email as soon as we are in the office the next day.
Q: What side effects should I expect after my treatment?
A: Our health practitioners are trying to make positive changes to your body to improve function and lower pain. Every person’s body reacts differently to each kind of treatment; however there are some common side effects that patients often experience after certain treatment types. Your Practitioner will also discuss any potential side effects of the specific treatment they are performing on you. Questions are always encouraged!
- Muscle tenderness, bruising and fatigue are all very normal short term side effects. We do recommend drinking water, stretching and using heat/ice as needed.
- If you experience any other symptom out of the ordinary or are concerned, please call the clinic and we will be happy to answer your questions.
Q: I was in a car accident or work injury… what do I do?
A: Our clinic handles car accidents and work injuries every day! Just call the clinic to book an appointment and be sure to tell our reception team about your accident or injury. They will ask you a few follow up questions and have some paperwork for you to fill out upon your first visit.
Q: Does Alberta Health Services cover any of my visits?
A: Chiropractic and Massage Therapy are not funded by Alberta Health Care (AHC), however they do cover some physiotherapy. The Government of Alberta has recently made changes to the way Physiotherapy is funded. As of June 1, 2021 only patients who have had a recent fracture or surgery, or are considered low income or recieve government subsidies will qualify for AHC funding for physiotherapy. If you are unsure if you would qualify, please call the office at 780-444-7752 and we'll be happy to discuss your options with you.
Q: Can you send me for an x-ray?
A: As of March 2020, the Government of Alberta has taken away the funding for Chiropractors and Physiotherapists to be able to send for x-rays and other radiology tests. This means that YES, we can send you for an x-ray if appropriate; however the medical imaging company will charge you (the patient) for the test. If you are okay with paying out of pocket, we can send you for one, if not; we suggest going to see your family doctor for an x-ray requisition.